Leading UK Importer for Citroën HY Vans

Office: +44 (0)1726 469605
UK Mobile: +44 (0)740 122 2599

Don’t be put off by the paperwork. The process of re-registering your HY van for use on UK roads is very straightforward, as our simple guide below shows.

The most urgent thing is that you must give details to HMRC (see Step 1) within 14 days of your van arriving in the UK.

Note: If you have purchased a van with no carte grise don’t panic! All you will need to register it in the UK is the date of manufacture. We can provide this service for you, please contact us for more information.

Step 1 – Tell the Taxman

To do this you need to fill in a NOVA form (Notification of Vehicle Arrivals).
You can do that online or by post, but we think the postal route is best for HY vans. It’s slower to complete and return a handwritten form, but it allows you to include extra details in a covering letter. The form is not very well suited to older vehicles, so it will pay you to enclose as much information as possible with it.

Just call the HMRC VAT Helpline on 0300 200 3700 and ask them to send you a VAT NOVA1 form.

If you prefer the online option, you can download the form via the link below. The same page may also be useful if you have other queries. On the plus side, completing the form online will often bring you a response the same day. If you are buying the van on behalf of a VAT registered business, you have no choice but to apply online. https://www.gov.uk/importing-vehicles-into-the-uk/vat-and-tax-vehicles-from-within-the-eu

On receiving your completed form, HMRC will tell you whether you need to pay VAT. This will depend on your particular circumstances.

After receiving HMRC’s confirmation, wait a couple of days before contacting the DVLA. This will give the DVLA time to update its records.

Step 2 – Tell the DVLA

To register your van you will first need form V55/5 from the DVLA.

You can order one via the link below (preferred) or by calling 0300 790 6802.

When returning the completed form you need to enclose:

  • The first registration fee (currently £55)
  • Fee for the tax disc (unless your van was registered before 1st January 1975, in which case it is exempt)
  • Motor insurance certificate (starting date must be before the date of applying for your tax disc)
  • MOT certificate (unless your van was registered before 1960, in which case it is exempt)
  • A non-UK registration document or certificate for your vehicle (such as a French ‘carte grise’), if you received one with the documentation for your van
  • Photocopies of documents confirming your name and address (see examples at the bottom of this page)

Send the form and enclosed documents to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1BE, and very soon you and your HY van will be on the road.

Documents to confirm your name can be:
DVLA Licence, UK or EU Passport, Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Decree Nisi or Decree Absolute
Documents to confirm your address can be:

Gas, electricity, water or landline phone bill issued within 3 months, Council Tax bill for current year, bank or building society statement issued within 3 months, Medical Card

We will endeavour to do all we can to find you the right ‘Tube’ that caters for your needs.

Please either call us today or contact us through our online form

Recommended Suppliers

Compared Auto (0) ×